Current Size: 100%
Route Dispersal Guidelines
Ministry of Civil Aviation
Route Dispersal Guidelines for Scheduled Air Operators
(Monitored by DGCA)
- With a view to achieving better regulation of air transport services and taking into account the need for air transport services of different regions in the country, the Government vide order dated 1.3.94 have laid down Route Dispersal Guidelines.
- According to these guidelines, all scheduled operators are required to deploy in the North Eastern region, Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep (Category-II routes) at least 10% of their deployed capacity on trunk routes (Category-I routes). Further, at least 10% of the capacity thus required to be deployed on Category-II routes, is required to be deployed for connectivity exclusively within these regions.
- 50% of the capacity deployed on Category-I routes is to be deployed on routes other than Category-I and Category-II routes i.e. Category-III routes.
- All airlines are free to operate anywhere in the country subject to compliance with the Route Dispersal Guidelines.
- The detailed Route Dispersal Guidelines are as follows:
Provision of Service in Different Categories of Routes
Routes connecting directly
Routes connecting stations in North Eastern region, Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep.
Routes other than those in Category-I and Category-II
Any one who operates schedule air transport service on one or more of the routes under Category-I,shall be required to provide such service in Categories-II & III as indicated below:
The operator will deploy on routes in Category-II at least 10% of the capacity he deploys on routes in Category-I and of the capacity thus required to be deployed on Category-II routes, at least 10% would be deployed on service or segments thereof operated exclusively within the North-Eastern region, Jammu & Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep.
The operator will deploy on routes in Category-III, at least 50% of the capacity he deploys on routes in Category-I.
Note 1: A service operated on a Category-I route as a part of international air service will not be reckoned for the above purpose.
Note 2: Capacity deployed will be reckoned in Available Seat Kilometres (ASKM).
Note 3: On multiple sector routes like Delhi-Calcutta-Guwahati-Imphal, the capacity provided on Delhi-Calcutta sector will count towards Category-I that provided on Calcutta-Guwahati sector will count towards Category-II and the capacity on Guwahati-Imphal sector will count towards service exclusively within Category-II.
Note 4: In addition to the routes identified as Category IIA in the aforesaid Ministry of Civil Aviation Order, the operations on Cochin-Agatti-Cochin route shall also be counted within the classification of Category IIA routes.