Current Size: 100%
Hydro Power Projects
(Source: Ministry of Power)
Steps/ Measures Taken by The Govt. To Exploit Untapped Hydro Electric Potential in NE Region
The steps/ measures taken by the Govt. to give boost to the development of the balance hydro potential in the region are discussed below:
A. Policy Measures:
Policy on Hydro Power Development, 2008 was notified by Govt. of India on 31.3.2008 which aimed to provide level playing field to private developers and also provided for a transparent selection criteria for awarding sites to private developers and also for provision of merchant sales of upto a maximum of 40% of the saleable energy. Some of the clauses of the above Policy on Hydro Power Development, 2008, as listed below, have been recently modified:
- The cost plus tariff regime (in which tariff is to be determined by the regulator under section 62 of Electricity Act, 2003) has been extended for public as well as private sector hydro power projects up to December, 2015.
- In order to enable the project developer (public as well as private sector hydro developers) to recover the costs incurred by him in obtaining the project site, as mentioned in para (a) above, he would be allowed a special incentive by way of merchant sales of up to a maximum of 40% of the saleable energy. Projects that do not conform to the prescribed time lines would however lose this incentive of merchant sales in a graded manner. With a view to ensure timely completion of these projects, delays of every six months in the commissioning date would result in reduction of merchant sales by 5%. This condition would be operationalised by the appropriate regulator duly apportioning the Annual Fixed Charge accordingly.
- National Water Policy was notified by the Govt. earlier in the year 2002 which stipulated that in the planning and operation of system, water allocation priority should broadly be in the order of drinking water, irrigation, hydro power, ecology, agro industries and non agriculture industries, navigation and other uses. The policy is being proposed to be revised. For that purpose, Govt. has prepared a Draft National Water Policy in 2012.
- Mega Power Projects Policy has been revised, as per which the minimum qualifying capacity of thermal power plants to avail mega project benefits, has been reduced from 1000 MW to 700 MW in certain special category States of J&K, Sikkim and the seven states of North East. The corresponding qualifying threshold capacity for hydro power plants located in the states of J&K, Sikkim and the seven states of North East, for availing mega benefits has been reduced from 500 MW to 350 MW.
Constitution of Inter-Ministerial Group (IMG)
An Inter-Ministerial Group (IMG) had been constituted by Ministry of Water Resources (MoWR) on 7th August, 2009 under the Chairmanship of Secretary (WR) on the directions of Prime Minister's Office (PMO) to evolve a suitable framework to Guide and Accelerate the development of Hydropower in the North East. Ministry of Power was also represented in the Committee. Some of the major issues/ constraints in the way of expeditious growth of hydro power development in the Region were identified by the Group like Environment & Forest Clearance including the issue of compensatory afforestation, need for infrastructural facilities like roads construction of bridges, strengthening of existing roads, efficient and reliable telecommunication links, better road transport/ air services etc., non-availability of hydrological & other data, the impact of the massive hydro power development in Arunachal Pradesh on down-stream areas in Assam, Non-Availability of skilled man-power, Funding arrangements and Problems associated with Evacuation of Power etc. and policy interventions were proposed in its report submitted in Feb., 2010.
- A Task Force under the Chairmanship of Hon'ble Minister of Power with Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, Minister of Water Resources, Minister of New & Renewable Energy, Minister of Environment & Forest and Ministers of Power from Hydro rich states has been constituted to look into all issues relating to development of Hydro Power.
B. Other Measures for timely completion of the projects:
In addition to the above Policy Measures, 'Other Measures' taken for ensuring the timely completion of the projects presently under construction for benefits during 11th & 12th Plan period are given below:
Monitoring of Ongoing Hydro Projects :
An Advisory Group has been set up under the chairmanship of the Minister of Power to advise for expeditious completion of ongoing power generation projects.
Special Monitoring Group:
A special monitoring group (SMG) under the chairmanship of Secretary (Power) has been constituted to discuss & sort out various issues through video conferencing for J&K and North Eastern Region.
Following mechanism is in place to monitor the progress of projects under construction:
- Central Electricity Authority (CEA) is performing the duties (monitoring of the power projects) in pursuance of 73 (f) of Electricity Act, 2003. The progress of each project is monitored continuously through frequent site visits, interaction with the developers, and critical study of monthly progress reports. Chairperson, CEA holds review meeting with the developers and other stakeholders to sort out the critical issues.
- A Power Project Monitoring Panel (PPMP) has been set up by the Ministry of Power to independently follow up and monitor the progress of the hydro projects.
- Review meetings are taken by Ministry regularly with the concerned officers of CEA, equipment manufacturers, State Utilities/CPSUs/Project developers, etc.
- Advisory Group:
- Monitoring of Future Hydro Projects :In addition to the Task Force which has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Hon'ble Minister of Power as mentioned above, regular meetings are taken by Chairperson, CEA to review the status of future hydro projects allotted to various developers like preparation of DPR, status of E&F clearance, likely date of placing of order etc.
For details, see below:
- Hydropower Projects under Construction in NER & Sikkim (March, 2012)
- Hydropower Development in Arunachal Pradesh (April, 2012)
- Status of Development of Hydropower Projects in Arunachal Pradesh (January, 2010)
Hydropower Projects Under Construction in NER & Sikkim
(Source: Ministry of Power)
(as on March, 2012)
(No. x MW)
|1.||Subansiri Lower (NHPC)||Arunachal Pradesh||8x250||2000||2016-17|
|2.||Kameng (NEEPCO)||Arunachal Pradesh||4x150||600||2016-17|
|3.||Pare (NEEPCO)||Arunachal Pradesh||2x55||110||2014-15|
|Sub- total (Central Sector):||2770|
|Sub- total (State Sector):||166|
|8.||Teesta St. III||Sikkim||6x200||1200||2013-15|
|9.||Teesta St. VI||Sikkim||4x125||500||2015-16|
|Sub- total (Private Sector):||2421|
|In addition to the above, EPC Contract for Lower Demwe HE Project (5x342+1x40 = 1750 MW) in Arunachal Pradesh being implemented by ADPPL in Private Sector has been awarded but due to pending Forest clearance work has not yet started.|
|* - One unit Commissioned in Nov. 2011|
Hydropower Development in Arunachal Pradesh
(Source: Government of Arunachal Pradesh)
(as on April, 2012)
The Government of Arunachal Pradesh has so far allotted about 140 hydropower projects with the total installed capacity (IC) of 41500 MW that is to be developed on various rivers, rivulets and nalas in 7 major river basins:
- 44 are of more than 100 MW each accounting for about 37, 000 MW (90% of the total allotted IC).
- 1 commissioned & running - Ranganadi (405 MW) implemented by NEEPCO.
- 3 under implementation – Lower Subansiri (2000MW), Kameng (600MW) and Pare (110MW).
- 9 projects (10575MW) – techno-economic clearance issued.
- 12 projects (11202MW) - DPRs submitted to CEA.
- About 50 projects are of the capacity between 25 MW and 100 MW.
- Another 50 projects approximately are of less than 25 MW (about 10% of the allotted capacity).
- The state government regularly reviews implementation aspects of all of these projects on quarterly basis. In the review meetings senior officers from Central Electricity Authority (CEA), Central Water Commission (CWC), Ministry of Water resources and Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (PGCIL) are also invited. In these meetings apart from review of progress the issues relating to various clearances from central government and state government organizations are also identified. Other hindrances coming / likely to come in the way of these projects are also taken into account and help is extended to the power developers to overcome those impediments.
- For state level clearances a single window clearance committee has been set up under the chairmanship of Chief Secretary that meets regularly and cases are cleared in the shortest possible time.
- As a result of all these mechanisms set in place the projects are advancing ahead for their implementation. There are inordinate delays in environment clearance and forest clearance.
Status of Development of Hydropower Projects in Arunachal Pradesh
(Above 25 MW Capacity and Yet to be Taken up for Construction )
(as on January, 2010)
|Sl. No.||Project||Basin||Agency||Present Installed Capacity (MW)||Date of MOU||Year of Commissioning||Present Status|
|1.||Tawang-I||Tawang||NHPC||750||24.06.2007||2016-17||DPRs submitted in Oct,' 09 is under scrutiny for acceptance in CEA/CWC and will be cleared by March, 2010.|
|2.||Tawang-II||Tawang||NHPC||1000||24.06.2007||2016-17||Project allotted with IC=750 MW. DPR submitted in July, 09 for 1000 MW is under examination in CEA/CWC and will be cleared by March, 2010. .|
|3.||Kameng-I||Kameng||NEEPCO||1120||21.09.2006||Sep. 2017.||Wildlife & Bio-Diversity Department of GoAP has expressed their inability to process the proposal regarding diversion of forest land in the Pakkel Tiger Reserve without seeking prior permission of Hon'ble Supreme Court. Matter would be taken up with the Hon'ble Supreme Court by NEEPCO for taking up the S&I work and will be cleared by March, 2010. .|
|4.||Dibang||Dibang||NHPC||3000||24/6/2007||2020-21||Concurrence accorded by CEA in Jan., 2008. The E&F Clearance will be got by March, 2011.|
|5.||Kapakleyak||Kameng||Yet to be decided||160||Yet to be allotted||Difficult access.|
|6.||Naba||Subansiri||Yet to be decided||1000||Yet to be allotted||To be allotted.|
|7.||Niare||Subansiri||Yet to be decided||800||Yet to be allotted||To be allotted.|
|8.||Oju-II||Subansiri||Yet to be decided||1000||Yet to be allotted||To be allotted.|
|9.||Oju-I||Subansiri||Yet to be decided||700||Yet to be allotted||To be allotted.|
|10.||Siang Upper & Intermediate||Siang||Yet to be decided||11000||Yet to be allotted.||Feasibility Report (FR) prepared by NTPC for Siang Upper Stage-I(6000 MW) and Stage-II(3750 MW) avoiding submergence of important towns. State is yet to allot it for implementation.|
|11.||Jiadhal||Jiadhal||Brahmaputra Board||75||Yet to be allotted||DPR likely by March,2012.|
|12.||Noa Dihing||Noa Dihing||Brahmaputra Board||50||Yet to be allotted||DPR likely by March 2012. Declared as National Project.|
|13.||Nykcharongchu||Tawang||SEW Energy Ltd.||96||21-02-2008||2015-16||S&I in progress; DPR likely by 4/'10.|
|14.||Mago Chu||Tawang||SEW Energy||96||27-10-2006||2015-16||S&I in progress; DPR likely by 4/'10.|
|15.||Nyamjungchu St-I, II & III||Tawang||Bhilwara Energy Ltd.||900||27-10-2006||2014-15||Projects allotted as Nyamjungchu-I (98 MW) Nyamjungchu-II (97 MW) Nyamjungchu-III (95 MW). DPR for combined Nyamjunchu Project (900 MW) submitted to CEA in June, '09 and under examination since. 28.8.09. ToR for EIA study has been approved. DPR will be likely cleared by March, 2010.|
|16.||Rho||Tawang||SEW Energy||60||2/3/2009||2016-17||S&I in progress. DPR likely by 5/'11.|
|17.||New Melling||SEW Energy Ltd.||60||10/1/2009||2016-17||S&I in progress. DPR likely by 4/'10.|
|18.||Tsa - Chu - II||Kameng||Energy Development Co. Ltd.||36||10/1/2009||2013-14||S&I for preparation of PFR under progress.|
|19.||Kameng Dam (Bana)||Kameng||KSK Electricity Financing India Pvt. Ltd.||480||25-01-2007||Mar., 2017||Project allotted for 600 MW. S&I in progress, Capacity has been reduced to 480 MW. DPR likely by 12/'11.|
|20.||Badao||Kameng||Coastal Projects Pvt. Ltd.||70||19-11-2008||2016-17||PFR submitted to state Government.|
|21.||Rebby||Kameng||Coastal Projects Pvt. Ltd.||31||19-11-2008||2016-17||S&I for preparation of PFR under progress.|
|22.||Para||Kameng||Coastal Projects Pvt. Ltd.||55||19-11-2008||2016-17||S&I for preparation of PFR under progress.|
|23.||Talong||Kameng||GMR Energy Ltd.||225||24-01-2007||2015-16||Project was initially allotted as Talong for 160 MW to NEEPCO. DPR of Londa HEP submitted in Oct., 2008 & returned in Dec.2008 due to mismatch of levels.|
|24.||Lachung||Kameng||Coastal Projects Pvt. Ltd.||41||19-11-2008||2016-17||S&I for preparation of PFR under progress.|
|25.||Phanchung||Kameng||Indiabull Real Estate Ltd.||60||25-10-2007||Oct.,2014||DPR submitted to state and will be cleared by March 2010.|
|26.||Dibbin||Kameng||KSK Electricity Financing India Pvt. Ltd.||120||25-01-2007||2014-15||Project allotted for IC=125 MW which has been revised to 120 MW. DPR cleared by CEA on 4.12.09.|
|27.||Pichang||Kameng||Indiabull Real Estate Ltd.||31||25-10-2007||Oct.,2014||DPR submitted to state and will be cleared by March 2010.|
|28.||Tarang Warang||Kameng||Indiabull Real Estate Ltd.||30||25-10-2007||Oct.,2014||DPR submitted to state and will be cleared by March 2010.|
|29.||Sepla||Kameng||Indiabull Real Estate Ltd.||46||25-10-2007||Oct.,2014||DPR submitted to state and will be cleared by March 2010..|
|30.||Papu||Kameng||Indiabull Real Estate Ltd.||90||9/1/2009||Beyond 12th Plan||
Under S& I
|31.||Jameri||Kameng||KSK Energy Ventures Pvt. Ltd.||50||27/12/2007||Mar-16||DPR likely by 07/'11.|
|32.||Nafra||Kameng||SEW Energy Ltd.||96||14/9/2007||2015-16||DPR submitted to CEA in July,09 has been returned in Oct., 2009. Hydrology, Civil design, installed Capacity need review.|
|33.||Pachuk-I||Kameng||Energy Development Co. Ltd.||60||12/1/2008||Jan. 2016||Under survey and investigation(S&I).|
|34.||Pachuk-II||Kameng||Energy Development Co. Ltd.||60||12/1/2008||Jan. 2016||Under survey and investigation.|
|35.||Majingla||Kameng||Energy Development Co. Ltd.||60||12/1/2008||Jan. 2016||Under survey and investigation|
|36.||Papu Valley||Kameng||Vensar Construction Co. Ltd.||35||25/11/2008||Beyond 12th Plan||Under S&I|
|37.||Kameng- II (Bharali-II)||Kameng||Mountain Fall India Pvt.Ltd.||600||23-11-2006||2018-19||DPR likely by Mar./'10.|
|38.||Gongri||Kameng||Patel Engineering Ltd.||90||18-05-2007||May 2017||DPR submitted to CEA in Oct., 09 .Under scrutiny in CEA/CWC.|
|39.||Utung||Kameng||KSK Energy Ventures Ltd.||100||11/9/2007||2016-17||S&I to be taken up by 12/10, DPR by 12/'12.|
|40.||Nazong||Kameng||KSK Energy Ventures Ltd.||60||11/9/2007||2016-17||S&I to be taken up by 12/10, DPR by 12/'12.|
|41.||Khuitam||Kameng||Adishankar Power Pvt. Ltd.||29||12/6/2007||Jun,2017||DPR submitted and under examination.|
|42.||Dinchang||Kameng||KSK Energy Ventures Ltd.||90||11/9/2007||March, 2017||S&I to be taken up by 12/09. DPR likely by 12/'11.|
|43.||Saskongrong||Kameng||Patel Engineering Ltd.||30||2014-15||S&I in progress.|
|44.||Par||Dikrong||KVK Energy & Infrastructure Ltd.||65||26-12-2007||2015-16||DPR likely shortly. EIA studies in progress.|
|45.||Dardu||Dikrong||KVK Energy & Infrastructure Ltd.||60||26-12-2007||2015-16||DPR likely shortly. EIA studies in progress.|
|46.||Panyor||Dikrong||Raajratna Energy Holdings Pvt. Ltd.||80||25-02-2009||Feb.2015||Under S&I|
|47.||Turu||Dikrong||ECI Engineering & Const.Co. Ltd.||90||21-06-2007||2016-17||DPR likely shortly.|
|48.||Subansiri Middle||Subansiri||Jindal Power Ltd.||1600||29/08/2009||Oct., 2018||DPR likely by 4/'12.|
|49.||Jarong||Siang||CESC Ltd.||90||25-11-2008||Beyond 12th Plan||S&I yet to be taken up by developer|
|50.||Simang-I||Siang||Adishankar Power Pvt. Lid||67||6/2/2008||Feb.2016||Projects allotted as Simang-I (67 MW), Simang-II (39 MW) & Simang-III (44 MW). To be developed in two stages of 67 MW and 66 MW. PFR prepared & submitted to Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh|
|51.||Simang-II||Siang||Adishankar Power Pvt. Ltd||66||6/2/2008||Feb.2016|
|Siang||Adishankar Power Pvt. Lid||44||6/2/2008||Feb.2016|
|52.||Barpu (Pemashelpu)||Siang||Raajratna Metal Industries||70||27-12-2007||2015-16||DPR likely shortly.|
|53.||Kangtangshiri||Siang||Raajratna Metal Industries||35||27-12-2007||2015-16||DPR likely shortly.|
|54.||Ropum||Siang||Raajratna Melal Industries||45||27-12-2007||2015-16||Project allotted for IC=40 MW. Levels being finalised. DPR for IC=45 MW is likely shortly.|
|55.||Rego||Siang||Tuff Power Pvt. Ltd.||141||27-12-2007||2015-16||Project allotted for IC=70 MW.DPR likely by 2/'10 for IC=141 MW.|
|56.||Yamne Stage-I||Siang||Yamne Power Private Limited||60||5/3/2008||Aug.,2015||DPR likely by Apr., 2010.|
|57.||Yamne Stage-II||Siang||Yamne Power Private Limited||60||5/3/2008||Aug.,2015||DPR likely by Apr., 2010.|
|58.||Lower Yamne Stage-I||Siang||Yamne Power Private Limited||50||29-11-2008||2015-16||S&I in progress.|
|59.||Lower Yamne Stage-II||Siang||Yamne Power Private Limited||40||29-11-2008||2015-16||S&I in progress.|
|60.||Tagurshit||Siang||L&T Power Ltd.||60||23-12-2008||Dec.2017||S&I in progress|
|61.||Tato-II||Siang||Tato Hydro Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Energy Ltd.)||700||22-02-2006||2016-17||DPR submitted in May, 09 returned by CEA on 04.09.09 due to inadequate geological investigations, exploring possibility of relocation of dam site, making provision of desilting chamber & review of high cost/ tariff of project.|
|62.||Naying||Siang||D. S. Construction Ltd||1000||22-02-2006||2017-18||DPR likely by Jan, 2010.|
|63.||Siang Lower||Siang||Jaiprakash Associates Ltd.||2700||22-02-2006||March'15 (1500 MW) 2018-19 (1200 MW)||Project allotted for IC=1600 MW. Revised DPR for 2700 MW submitted in Aug., 2009. Concurrence meeting held on 15.12.2009. Clearance letter under issue.|
|64.||Siyom (Siang Middle)||Siang||SIYOM Hydro Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Energy Ltd.)||1000||22-02-2006||2017-18||DPR likely by 12/'09.|
|65.||Pauk||Siang||Velcan Energy Ltd.||120||30-06-2007 (rev MOA-31-07-09)||2016||Project allotted for IC=50 MW.IC revised to 120 MW in July09 after resolution of level interference issue. FR is being prepared. DPR likely by Dec., 2010.|
|66.||Heo||Siang||Velcan Energy Ltd.||210||30-06-2007 (rev MOA-31-07-09)||2016||Project allotted for IC=90 MW. IC revised to 210 MW in July09 after resolution of level interference issue. FR is being prepared. DPR likely by Sept., 2010.|
|67.||Hirong||Siang||Jaiprakash Associates Ltd.||500||22-02-2006||Feb.2018||Under S&I ,DPR likely to be completed by 12/09.|
|68.||Tato-l||Siang||Velcan Energy Ltd.||170||30-06-2007 (rev MOA-31-07-09)||2016||Project allotted for IC=80 MW. IC revised to 170 MW in July09 after resolution of level interference issue. FR is being prepared. DPR likely by Sept., 2010.|
|69.||Hirit||Siang||Velcan Energy Ltd.||28||30-06-2007||Jun 2017||Project allotted for IC=84 MW. IC being revised to 28 MW. Geological issues being faced.|
|70.||Emini||Dibang||Emini Hydro Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Energy Ltd.)||500||2/3/2009||2019-20||DPR likely by Mar., 2012.|
|71.||Mihumdon||Dibang||Mihumdon Hydro Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Energy Ltd.)||400||2/3/2009||2019-20||DPR likely by Mar., 2012.|
|72.||Sissiri||Dibang||Soma Sissiri Hydro Pvt. Ltd. (Soma Enterprise Ltd.)||222||18-01-2008||Dec. 2017||DPR Submitted in January 2010 and under examination in CEA/CWC.DPR may be cleared by May 2010.|
|73.||Emra-II||Dibang||Athena Energy Venture||390||2/2/2008||Jan.2018||Under S&I.|
|74.||Amulin||Dibang||AMULIN Hydro Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Energy Ltd.)||420||2/3/2009||2019-20||DPR likely by Mar., 2012.|
|75.||Emra-l||Dibang||Athena Energy Venture||275||2/2/2008||Jan.2018||Under S&I.|
|76.||Etalin||Dibang||Jindal Power Ltd. (JV with HPDCAPL) - Etalin H.E. Power Co.Ltd.||4000||8/12/2008||Mar., 2020||DPR likely by Mar., 2012. MOEF accorded clearance in Nov.'09 for preconstruction activities as per the provisions of EIA Notification, 2006.|
|77.||Attunli||Dibang||Jindal Power Ltd. (JV with HPDCAPL) - Attunli H.E. Power Co.Ltd.||500||8/12/2008||Mar., 2018||DPR likely by Mar., 2012. MOEF accorded clearance in Nov.'09 for preconstruction activities as per the provisions of EIA Notification, 2006.|
|78.||Gimiliang||Lohit||Sai Krishnodaya Industries (P) Ltd.||99||26-02-2009||Feb.2017||S & I in progress.|
|79.||Raigam||Lohit||Sai Krishnodaya Industries (P) Ltd.||96||27-12-2007||2012-13||PFR submitted.|
|80.||Tidding-I||Lohit||Sai Krishnodaya Industries (P) Ltd.||98||12/12/2007||Feb.2017||Under S&I|
|81.||Kalai-II||Lohit||Kalai Power Pvt. Ltd. (Reliance Power Ltd.)||1200||2/3/2009||2018-19||DPR likely by 12/'11.|
|82.||Hutong- II||Lohit||Mountain Fall India Pvt.||1250||23-11-2006||Nov.2018||DPR likely by 04/'10.|
|83.||Tidding-II||Lohit||Sai Krishnodaya||68||26-02-2009||Feb. 2017||Under S&I|
|84.||Kalai-I||Lohit||Mountain Fall India Pvt.||1450||23-11-2006||Nov.2018||DPR likely by 07/'10.|
|85.||Demwe(Lower)||Lohit||Athena Energy Venture||1750||9/7/2007||2016-17 (Demwe Lower)||Project allotted as Demwe with IC=3000 MW.Being developed as two schemes namely Demwe Lower (1750 MW) and Demwe Upper (1800 MW). DPR for Demwe Lower submitted in Aug, 2009 and Concurrence accorded on 20.11.2009.|
|86.||Demwe(Upper)||Lohit||Athena Energy Venture||1800||9/8/2007||July 2018||DPR for Demwe Upper to be prepared by Mar., '10.|
|Total (Arunachal Pradesh):||Central||5870 MW||4 Schemes|
|State||14785 MW||8 Schemes|
|Private||27512 MW||74 Schemes|
|Total:||48167 MW||86 Schemes|