Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region
Ministries exempted from spending 10% of their Annual Budget in the NER
The criteria followed for exemption of a Ministry / Department are:
- Highly scientific Ministries / Departments with hardly any scope for work in the North East.
- The Ministries / Departments having no direct involvement in the North East and Sikkim such as the erstwhile Department of Ocean Development;
- The Ministries in which case the expenditure in the North East and Sikkim was 'Nil' during the last three years; and.
- The Ministries / Departments whose Gross Budgetary Support is less than Rs. 10 crores.
- The Departments / Ministries Exempted from making for the North Eastern Region in the Budget Estimates (BE 2010-11) are:
Personnel & Training
Petroleum & Natural Gas
Social Justice& Empowerment*
Science & Technology
Scientific & Industrial Research
- * Only 2% of the funds for Scheduled Castes Division (SCD) are allocated to NER. The norm of 10% allocation is applied to sectors other than SCD.